Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Yes, I know how long it's been

Anyway....

I think the back of my neck is aging faster than the rest of me. Not because the skin is crepier (that's crepey-er, looking more like crepe) than everywhere else, though I wouldn't be surprised if it were (I really haven't looked lately). But because it's always cold. I have to wear high collars all the time, now that the weather's gotten cooler, at least while I'm at home. When I go out and have on a jacket, I'm fine. But sitting around the house, the back of my neck will be freezing, even if the rest of me is comfortable.

It's true that it might be because we keep the temperature pretty low. The thermostat is set at 68°F, partly because we're trying to use less energy to offset the summer when, dadgummit, we're not going to be burning up all the time so just go ahead and crank up the AC ahh that's better. We're also both pretty hot-natured and tolerate cold well. Except, lately, the back of my neck.

Why do you suppose this kind of thing happens? I can understand why one's knees might cause problems, or teeth might start to hurt, or even if your skin became impossibly dry as you age. And I might think it's hormonal except that ship sailed long ago and, anyway…just the back of my neck?

I guess there's not really much to do about it except wait for it to change. (That's one thing I've learned about aging: It's going to change.) Maybe I'll knit an around-the-house neck warmer, or grow out my hair. It is curious, though.

Sometimes you just have to live with the puzzlement.

No comments:

Post a Comment