Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Icepocalypse or Snowmageddon

Yes, we had rain. It converged with a major cold front, starting temperatures falling, so the rain turned to sleet, then eventually to snow. Highs are in the 20s, overnight lows in the single digits, with wind chills below zero. For two days now; one—maybe two—more to go. The DFW Metroplex is actually equipped to handle some snowfall and ice. But not with temps this low, and not for this long. It's been…interesting.

Rich realized on Monday morning that he needed to be in San Antonio this week, so he left at lunchtime. He's out of the cold, but not the rolling blackouts. (Heh.) I'm having a rollicking good time making sure the birds and feral cats (felis in Dei diligentiam) have food and [liquid] water. I watch the dogs while they're out in the back yard, since there's snow & ice on the pool deck, and Andy has taken to getting too close to the edge for my comfort. The water in the pool has that thick look to it, the way it does when it's really, really cold. I watch the dogs so that if Andy falls in (it won't be J, she keeps well away from the edge), I'll have the chance to jump in the freezing cold water and rescue him, assuming we both survive.











Andy in the snow. (It's the same photo I put on Facebook. I rather like it.) There's snow on his muzzle because he was snuffling in the snow, finding things and eating them. I don't think it was, um, anything the feral cats left there, because they don't come into the pool yard any more. I think it was acorns. Yeah. We'll go with acorns. In any case, he was having lots of fun, tearing around madly, until I insisted he stop so I could take his picture. He continued having fun immediately after this.




I've reorganized a closet. I've been knitting, focusing exclusively on one project I'd really like to get finished. As a result, I'm now toying with the idea of just throwing it away instead. (Short knitting attention span. I had to switch to something else a few hours ago.) I've spent a completely inordinate amount of time on Facebook and Twitter. And I've re-watched all of Doctor Who seasons 1 & 2, and have started on 3.

I have not:
  • Started my car
  • Put on makeup
  • Cooked (unless you count that grilled cheese last night)
  • Worn real clothes
  • Emptied the trash
since Monday. The trash thing is starting to become an issue.

One more day.

No comments:

Post a Comment