Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Need a new knitting book (a post all about knitting)

First I made this. (The panda one. I never could make their ear pattern work, though, so I ended up just making up my own. It looks fine.)
From Stitch Nation Yarn
I'm ready now to make the little mitts.

I thought it would be a good idea to make them two-at-a-time. For any non-knitters, there's a problem knitting socks and gloves or mittens, in that after you've made the first one, the thrill is sometimes gone. You've risen to the challenge, climbed that particular mountain, and you're no longer inspired by the pattern or the yarn. It's sometimes referred to as Single Sock Syndrome. (Really.) So two-at-a-time seemed the way to go on these little mitts. I wasn't sure how to do it, but I thought it wouldn't be any big deal. There are all kinds of books about knitting two socks at the same time (Single Sock Syndrome is not an uncommon problem), and mittens (and gloves, too) start the same way as socks, as long as you begin at the cuff. I recently learned how to use two circular needles to knit two-at-a-time socks (and let me tell you, that's the only way to go for two-at-a-time), so I thought I'd do it that way. I just needed to know how to cast on.

…and that's where the problems started. How is it done?

I've got this book, which explains how to knit socks on two circular needles, but only one sock at a time.
I've also got this book, which explains how to knit socks two-at-a-time, but on only one circular needle.
I've got this book, which explains two-at-a-time and two circular needles—but only from the toe up, which doesn't help at all with the cast-on, the part I'm not sure about.

I'm still looking through my library, but I may have to look instead for new parents who are only concerned if one of their baby's hands stays warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment