Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Stream of Consciousness II

The NHL playoffs have started. I'm disappointed with Anaheim. I so want Detroit to be eliminated in this first round. Don't care that the Stars now have a Detroit guy as GM, or perhaps kind of because of it. On the other hand, now that the Stars will no longer be part of the Pacific Division (yeah, that made sense, didn't it?), I'm finding it much easier to be kindly disposed towards both Vancouver and San Jose. The Sharks are whomping up on the Canucks, and I'm not unhappy for SJS and feeling a little sympathetic towards VAN. Such is hockey, I guess. Ooh, but I just HATE those Red Wings and Blackhawks!

Oktoberfest is threatening to kill me once again. Seriously, I've had a few moments in the last ten or so days when I've been concerned about my blood pressure and the possibility of stroke. There are some very contentious people involved, once we get beyond the Chamber folks (staff and volunteers), and last week I had three, count 'em, three meetings with them. Oy. Of course, during those moments, the thought of stroking out and, therefore, not having to deal with those people any more actually had a fair amount of appeal.

I've become aware that I've been pretty irritable lately. And by 'lately' I mean the last year or so. I'm not sure why, whether it's a physical thing, an aging thing, a financial struggle thing, or what. But it's going to have to change. I need to be more fun, and more fun to be around. I used to be, I'm pretty sure, and I have to figure out a way to get back there. [shrug] Dunno. If anybody has any advice, I'm open to it. And I'll try not to be too irritable about it.

My mother-in-law's orchid, now residing
quite happily in our bathroom tropical jungle.
Changing the subject abruptly (my mother used to say that), I found a great tool for keeping track of what I'm cooking. I don't mean while I'm cooking, but as in when the last time was that we had pot roast, or whether or not we really had takeout three times last week. It's an app called Clear, and I think Lifehacker suggested using it for this purpose. I'm guessing it would be awfully handy for other things as well, but it's superbly useful when I'm trying to figure out what the heck we're going to have tonight and can see what all I haven't served in a while. I enter what we had last night as a new item, and never check things off as done (so the list just keeps getting longer). The newer entries are red, and the color changes as you go to the older items, which are yellow. I guess I'll eventually find out if there's a limit to the number of items on one list!

Okay, enough blabbering. Onward and upward. Back to Oktoberfest. And Go Ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment