Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'b sick

I woke up in the wee hours Sunday morning with a scratchy throat and cough. I couldn't go back to sleep, and since then haven't really done much more than doze off before my coughing wakes me up. (This situation is about to improve, however. I got a prescription for the Magic Elixir of Life, Sleep and Everything, aka cough medicine with codeine. Better living through chemistry. PiƱa Colada-flavored chemistry.)

Anyway…since I can't really think of anything to blog about except how congested I am, the best I'm going to be able to do is a bunch of little snippets. Tidbits. Okay, a file of notes about things I could have possibly blogged about someday, if I had really put my mind to it. But my mind seems to be preoccupied with…let's call it mucus.

So here are a bunch of unrelated snippet-paragraph-bits. Then I'm going back to bed.

  • Whenever I cough or sneeze, Izzy, our Siamese mix, chitters in response. We used to have a cat who'd meow once whenever anybody sneezed, as if she were saying, "Bless you," but Izzy just seems annoyed by the noise. If I do it too many times, she gets up and leaves the room, chittering to herself.
  • Meaningful, inspirational quotes are only good in short doses, then they start to cloy. Going through a file of quotations I've collected myself, I realized that if you read too many of them they just sound corny.
  • Things I hate: Droopy socks. Dark or black backgrounds on websites. Bad grammar—not the really esoteric, nobody-really-knows-the-rule kind of things, but the obvious things that everybody who made it out of elementary school ought to know. "You should have went with us." Wrong. "Al don't care." Wrong. Any sentence involving the word "ain't." Wrong and very annoying, too.
  • Things I'm grateful for: My friend, Jason, of First National Bank Town Square. He suggested an alternative to a depressing financial situation we were facing a few months ago, and I owe him big time (figuratively). He handed me an option that's going to so improve the quality of my life! They're great people over there, so if you're in the Southlake area, really, give them a try. My friend Jean, of Keener Financial Planning, who just retweeted, forwarded and posted on Facebook to help out a business colleague launching a new career. I have to say, both personally and professionally, she's worth getting to know, on so many levels. If you're ever thinking of working with a financial planner, absolutely give her a call!
  • Don't feed a cat mushrooms. Mind you, I'm basing this on one elderly cat with many digestive problems, but I don't think feline digestion and mushrooms are quite compatible. This elderly cat would eat them, eagerly, but half an hour later they'd reappear, absolutely unchanged. That can't be good.
  • I don't know how unusual this is, but neither Rich nor I have a "side of the bed." Of course, we don't switch back and forth at home; we each have our own pillows, nightstands, books, etc. But when we travel, we're content to sleep on whichever side we end up on (usually determined by who puts their stuff down first). We even switched sides between our old house in S.A. and our house here.
  • I do, however, have a "side of the booth" in a restaurant. My right hand has to be to the outside, and I could not explain why if my life depended on it. It just does, and I'm actually a little uncomfortable if I have to sit on the other side. (Compulsion much?)
  • One little tiny NHL note in an otherwise hockey-free post: Anaheim Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller's helmet really and truly looks like it's covered in satin. Fancy! 
  • I was forced to admit some years ago that burp humor makes me laugh. I laugh against my will, but I still laugh. Hard. And I'm so not proud of it. Tim Allen does a routine that leaves me with tears running down my face. Please don't tell anyone.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I'll get back to you when I'm feeling human again.

No comments:

Post a Comment