Monday, June 3, 2013

Which browser is worst?

Quick question: What browser do you use? Which one do you think is worst?

Yeah, me too.

I used Firefox for years, but it got slower and slower and slooower and sloooooowwwer and…you get the idea…whenever it had to deal with any Google or Google-owned pages (like YouTube). So I switched, reluctantly, to Chrome.

Chrome works just fine with Google pages (duh). It seems to handle most sites quite well. Unless it doesn't. Then, without warning, it demands well over 100% of the CPU time, and my computer fan starts overspinning (I expect to see my Mac Mini lift off the shelf where it lives and hover slightly), and everything else going on slows down, too.

Notice that these top five processes are using about 403% of the CPU time. Hmm….
To be honest, it may be a system problem, because Apple Mail (which I switched to because Thunderbird became way too glitchy to use) also seems to trigger it occasionally, though it happens when Mail is trying to render a remote image. (I'm not sure how connected that is to Chrome, which is always running in the background.) But I'm using this new (less than a year old) Mac server with blazing fast speed and two enormous hard drives. System? Really?

Whatever the problem actually is, I'm tired of it. I have both those browsers, plus Safari, installed, and use each of the occasionally, for different things. Rich, who uses Windows and Linux, swears by Opera.

Which one should I use? Suggestions? Comments? Questions? Answers? Anyone care for a mint?*

*That's a Rita Rudner reference, from one of her very funny standup routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment